Elsieskraal Green Belt
DATE PROJECT STARTED:
AIM OF PROJECT AND OUTCOMES
This project was conceived in response to our vision for a natural link between North and South of the N1 Corridor, transforming the Elsieskraal River Green Belt into a safe and vibrant interactive soft corridor and promote non-motorised transport within the area.
The intended outcomes of this project are:
- To link adjacent parks along the river, this includes the Jack Muller Park and Elizabeth Park
- To create and establish space for physical activities like, walking, running and cycling
- Space for social interaction for students, residents, workers and visitors
- Linking and setting up non-motorised routes from the Tyger Valley precinct to Bellville CBD and a link to the Hardekraaltjie sites
- Built environment of furniture and water features with possible Wi-Fi hot spots
- To setup environmental educational facilities/ gardens and protection of the river
The project would provide a space to promote and protect the natural environment, enhance social interaction and provide an economic upliftment to its surrounding properties and incorporate non-motorised transport routes and facilities such as walking, running and cycling. It will also decrease the crime rates in the area as vacant/ underutilised spaces attract crime, drug abuse, vandalism and dumping.